If our town and business owners could ralley together and try just one alley, (let the homeowners and business owners petition which one with Main Street Assoc.... i.e. "Why my Alley"), it could set the trend for the others and this could get accomplished over a period of time, one alley a year or every other year if that's too much on everyone to organize.
Niles Alley Day - A community project!
We could get donations and have a big work day (with sign ups in advance?)
People/things needed to get this started are:
1. A detailed map of the alleys (I could arrange for this)
2. A design team (maybe 2-3 people) to draw up some plans and find out if
we would need any approvals from the city to do something like this... and
to consider if there are ADA considerations or if we can go forward as
2a. Find out if the City can offer any funding and if so, how long it
would take (1 year, 3-5 years or 10?)
3. A review group (to make sure the design is do-able in one day)
4. A team to get donations of cobbles or bricks, etc. or maybe just
plants for the first one (??)
5. The donations and trucks to haul them
6. Someone to pick a date that works for lots of people!
7. People to sign up and promote the day
8. People to prepare the ground in advance (possibly)
9. People to show up on the day
10. People to continue the work after the day in case it doesn't all get